Tomps friends, do you know what project management is? If not yet, let’s get to know more about project and project management!
Even if you don’t have an educational background in management, understanding what project management is can be said to be important if you are dealing with projects within an organization. This is because you must know well how to manage and succeed in a project that you are working on. Of course, good project management knowledge plays a big role there.
For the first step, how about knowing the definition of project, project management, and project management principles? For that, here the answer that Tomps.id has summarizes for you!
According to the Association for Project Management (APM), the definition of a project is a job that is unique and temporary. Projects are carried out to achieve the planned goals and produce the desired results or benefits (outputs). Time and cost are the main foundation of a project. Therefore, a project is often said to be successful if it achieves the desired goals and results within a timescale and budget that is in accordance with the initial agreement.
Some examples of projects are software development, product or service development, building construction, public infrastructure development, natural disaster social activities, and others.
“Then, are projects and programs the same thing?”
This is also often confused by some people. According to the Project Management Institute (PMI), projects are undertaken to create certain desired outcomes in the most efficient way. Meanwhile, the program focuses on coordinating several projects and other interrelated activities over time with the aim of bringing benefits to the organization. Broadly speaking, the project is initiated to create a predictable outcome and then closed when the results are successfully realized. Meanwhile, the program is initiated to create change and realize benefits for the organization.
Like a car without fuel, a project certainly cannot run without good project management activities in it. According to PMI, project management is the activity of using specific knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to deliver values and benefits.
In simple terms, project management is the application of processes, methods, skills, knowledge, and experience to achieve the objectives of a particular project, according to agreed criteria and parameters. Project management activities to achieve these results have limitations, time and budget.
This limitation also distinguishes “project management” from “management” which is a continuous process. This is also what makes a professional project worker must master various skills, techniques, resource management, and good business awareness.
There are several project management principles according to PMI that you have to keep in mind to guide your project on the path of success:
1. Projects should be defined, not just referred to as ordinary tasks or activities. This is to minimize the possibility of the team avoiding concrete results at the end of the work cycle as a project should produce because they think their work is just a daily task, not a project. Project management then wil take part to make the project more effective and efficient.
2. In the empirical principle of project management, you must appoint a leader in charge of a job and hold accountable outcome. So, make sure your project has a leader (project manager) who is experienced and responsible for their work. According to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) 6th Edition, a good project manager must master three competencies, which is Technical Project Management, Leadership, and Strategic and Business Management.
3. Make sure to choose competent people to work on your project. “Then what about the new team members who still lack experience?”. While it is possible that your current project can be a good opportunity to train new people to become professionals, at least make sure they are under the guidance of a competent supervisor in the early days. Recruiting competent people is a great asset that can bring many benefits and maximize the quality of the project itself.
4. Define project objectives clearly with stakeholders. If you don’t know your destination, then how will you know when it has arrived?
Project management is a goal-oriented management system. The main priority in business is to determine the goals, objectives of the project, by finding the most efficient way of working. Once the project objectives have been clearly defined, the stakeholders must choose their top priorities. Is it fast turnaround time, low cost, or high quality?
5. Make a detailed plan to control the project flow (project timeline). Continue the previous analogy, after knowing what your destination is, of course, it is necessary to devise a way to get there. Just like a project, of course you have to make plans such as scheduling, break down tasks, and manage a team. Don’t forget about risk management that you have to do from the planning stage to minimize the impact if this risk does occur.
6. In addition to the principles and techniques above, you must also be realistic by considering the budget and resources that are the main fuel for your project. Be sure to carry out strict monitoring and control to ensure every percent of the budget has been spent optimally. Manpower, raw materials, equipment, to operational costs are part of the project budget. To minimize the chance of deviation, the project manager is required to be able to provide an accountability report for the budgeted costs against the actual costs of the current project.
As a project manager, you can manage various tiring activities to the fullest. Starting from making plans, managing resources, costs and teams at the same time. Certainly not an easy job, right? This will be even more difficult if your current project management system is still done manually, not with digital systems such as using project management software.
In fact, 71% of organizations reported that the use of project management software was able to improve the quality of control and management in the projects they handle (KMPG xSurvey, 2019). Unfortunately, find management tools that match our industry are not easy. There are many factors that a project management apps must have in order to fit our management style. Don’t let it be that we are completely managed by an inappropriate system.
One project management software that you can rely on is Tomps. Tomps is a mobile and web based management software that exists because of the need for quality, effectiveness, and speed of monitoring project progress completion in the field. Tomsp offer flexibility, transparency, real-time, collaboration, and end-to-end system to make you feel closer and easier to do project management activities.
Tomps mobile and web based project management software
If you need a project management software with a professional impression that is equipped various strategic features for managing a small, medium, to large project scale, then Tomps.id could be one of the best answers. Why?
Tomps comes with smart project management features that help you manage projects end-to-end. From the initiation stage to closing. Some of these features include: